I am a UK-based artist, working predominantly in the medium of hand-made felt textiles.
Echoed by the alchemy of the felt making process, my work explores patterns of change and transformation. Felt making is a long, physical and intimate process, during which wool fibres, water and soap are combined to transform into a fabric which can be shrunk into tactile forms. As the wool shrinks and dries, the shape is stored in the fibers.
This idea of the wool ‘remembering’ provides me with the means to mark and process important events in my life and links me to an ancient textile tradition which played a vital role in the history of humankind. Despite the characteristic strength of felt there is an implied fragility to the sculpted form. I am interested in this tension, and how far I can push the boundaries of the medium.
Born into a Dutch-Indonesian family and raised in the Netherlands, I studied fine art (painting) at Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht before moving to the UK in 1995. I made my first piece of felt in 2005 and for now, wool is the material I choose to work with. It’s an honest, protective and nurturing medium, which is subject to the ravages of time as much as we are. There is something profoundly humbling in investing hours of work in a piece that may or may not survive me.
I live and work in Somerset, England. I am a member of the Crafts Council Directory, International Feltmakers Association and Somerset Art Works. My work can be found in private collections throughout Europe and the Americas.
Keep in touch
Subscribe to my newsletter if you would like to be among the first to be notified of exhibitions, workshops & masterclasses. I am currently raising funds for my project ‘Hinterland’, to contribute you can find out more here.
16 Sept – 14 Oct. 2017: ‘Hinterland’, solo exhibition; Black Swan Arts, 2 Bridge Street, Frome, Somerset BA11 1BB
2016/17: “Zoomorphic”, group show; Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Torfaen, Wales.
2016: “A Darn Good Yarn”, group show, Greenhill Arts, Newton Abbot, Devon
2014-2017: “Black Sheep – the darker side of felt”, national touring group exhibition organised by the National Centre for Craft & Design (UK). Venues across the UK
2015: “Etsy Four Corners of Craft” at London Design Week, Tent London at the Old Truman Brewery, London. Group show curated by Etsy.com
2015: “Shape Shifting & Story Walking”, Rook Lane Arts, Frome, Somerset
2014: “Frome Open Studios”, The Bennett Centre, Frome, Somerset
2013: “Makers”, RedEarth Gallery, Tiverton, Devon
2013: “Decorative Arts”, Rook Lane Arts, Frome, Somerset
- Together & Sunspell Oct. 2017. Black & white photo reportage”Poetics of other /Gladys”.
- Together & Sunspell Oct. 2017. Interview and colour photo reportage: “creatives/Gladys Paulus textile artist home, studio and gallery visit”.
- Grima Filteforenig, Denmark, Feb. 2017, issue 27, p. 10-14, article “Filt og masker Af Gladys Paulus”
- TextileArtist.org, on-line place for textile artists, interview: “Gladys Paulus – the tactile nature of felt”, Jan. 2017.
- FeltMatters, magazine of the International Feltmakers Association, UK, issue 125, December 2016. Page 16-17, “Small felt – focus on an artist”
- Rakes Progress Magazine, UK, issue 2, Autumn 2016, editorial
- Through Our Hands, on-line magazine on contemporary stitched textiles, print, painting and mixed media, Oct. 2016, p. 41-49 article
- Element 15, a contemporary textile art blog, Ireland. July 2016. Artist in Profile: “An interview with Gladys Paulus” by Vanessa Scott-Hayward
- Worldwide Colours of Felt, The Netherlands. June 2016, p. 78, 136, 154, book. Published by Textile-link
- Selvedge Magazine, UK. 2016, Issue 69, p. 31 -33, “Wild World, Feltmaker Gladys Paulus creates extraordinary animal masks from her studio in Somerset”
- Filzfun Magazine, Germany. Feb. 2015, Issue 46, p. 20 – 21, masterclass review “Prächtige Vögel in Filz”
- HARRODS Magazine, UK. Nov. 2014, fashion feature “Alter Ego” P. 98-100
- Textile art around the world, The Netherlands. Oct. 2014, p. 134, book. Published by Textile-link
- FELT FASHION Magazine, Russia. Oct. 2014, Issue 3, p. 22-25, feature article
- Filzfun Magazine, Germany. Sept. 2014, Issue 44, p. 42 – 45, interview “Creativity in the blood”
- CRAFTS – The magazine for contemporary craft, UK. May/June 2014, Issue 248, p. 60, “Exploring the possibilities of felt”; exhibition review by Katy Dunn
- FeltMatters, magazine of the International Feltmakers Association , UK. Spring 2014, Issue 114, p. 6-7, interview
- Creative Fluff art blog, USA. March 2014, review; “The extraordinary felt creations of Gladys Paulus”
- Fiber Art Now magazine, USA. 2013, Volume 2, issue 4, p. 55 On view: “Flora & Fauna”
- UK Handmade E-magazine, UK. Winter 2013, p. 28-43 interview: “Meet Gladys Paulus2
- Crafty Magazine, UK. 2013, Issue 06, p. 92-95, interview “Felt and Folkore”